Underrepresented Minorities Committee
To: (1) foster and promote involvement, advancement and recognition of underrepresented minority members of AGA; (2) address (through policy recommendations and programs) concerns of underrepresented minority members of AGA relative to their professional endeavors; (3) address (through policy recommendations and programs) health issues relevant to and important to underrepresented minorities; and (4) hold a constituency meeting at DDW® to solicit comments, ideas and proposals from the constituency for further consideration by the committee.
- Implements relevant strategic directions from the strategic plan assigned to the committee; reviews the strategic plan to determine new and better ways to achieve association goals.
- Provides input on strategic trends and opportunities and suggests adjustments to the strategic plan for the chair to communicate to the AGA Leadership Cabinet.
- Other functions as assigned by the AGA Governing Board.
- Provides leadership an oversight of committee activities.
- Convenes and directs meetings and teleconferences; forms and assigns tasks to members and ad hoc groups.
- Keeps governing board informed of committee activities and needs through the governing board liaison.
- Ensures that committee activities are conducted/completed in a thorough and timely manner.
- Works with AGA staff to prepare agendas, reports and minutes.
- Evaluates the performance of committee members.
- Serves as an advocate on relevant issues.
- Assigns tasks and projects as appropriate.
- Advises governing board on relevant issues where committee involvement is not feasible.
- Contribute ideas, input, expertise and time to committee activities
- Review committee materials and provide feedback in a timely manner
- Participate in all committee meetings, teleconferences and activities such as receptions, symposia, breakfasts, etc.
There are 10 members of the committee, plus the chair, all to be selected for their interest in issues that affect underrepresented minorities. The initial appointments will be made by the AGA Governing Board. As the terms of the initial appointees expire, they will be appointed as follows: six members will be appointed from among members of AGA and AGA Institute committees and the AGA Institute Council; and after those categories are filled, four will be appointed at large. Except for the initial appointees, members will serve three-year terms.
The committee meets at DDW in May and once in September/October (during the AGA Joint Committee meetings).
- Byron L. Cryer, MD
- Maria T. Abreu , MD
- Elie D. Al-Chaer, PhD, JD
- Akwi Wasi Asombang, MD
- Fernando Suarez Carreira, MD
- Rene Davila, MD, AGAF
- Courtney W. Houchen, MD
- Jeanette Keith, MD
- Jesus Rivera-Nieves, MD, AGAF
- April Tignor, MD