AGA Investing in the Future (IITF) Student Research Fellowship
At A Glance
This fellowship provides 10 awards at $5,000 for underrepresented minority undergraduate and medical school students to perform eight to 10 weeks of research related to digestive diseases or nutrition. Highly qualified students will travel out of state to work with top investigators in the fields of gastroenterology and hepatology. The award amount includes housing, travel and a stipend.
The objective of this award is to stimulate interest among underrepresented minority students in digestive disease and nutrition research.
- Underrepresented minority (URM) students from accredited US Institutions may apply. Eligible candidates will include African Americans, Hispanic/Latino Americans, American Indians, Alaska Natives and Natives of the U.S. Pacific Islands.
- Candidates may not hold similar salary support awards from other agencies (e.g. American Liver Foundation, Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America, etc.).
- This award is not intended to provide salary support for laboratory technicians.
- Past recipients of the AGA Student Research Fellowship Award may reapply for continuous funding provided a scientific progress report was submitted for the previous project and other eligibility requirements are met.
Selection Criteria and Review Process
- Applicants will select and rank in order of preference three mentors from the Investing in the Future mentor roster. Members of the AGA Research Awards Panel and the Investing in the Future Program Mentors will select the award recipients.
- Award recipient must secure his/her housing for the duration of the fellowship.
- A scientific progress report is required upon completion of the fellowship.
- Award recipients are required to acknowledge the AGA Investing in the Future Student Research Fellowship and the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (R25DK096968) in all testimonials publications, abstracts and/or presentations that result from the award.
Award recipients are encouraged (but not required) to submit abstracts for presentation at Digestive Disease Week® (DDW), the world’s largest gathering of clinicians, educators and researchers in gastrointestinal and hepatic disease and function. If a recipient’s abstract is accepted by the AGA for presentation, he/she may apply for the AGA Student Abstract Prize, a $500 travel award to attend DDW. To submit an abstract for consideration, visit the DDW website and select “Abstract Submission”.
Application Submission Instructions
The application deadline is Feb. 7. The completed application, transcript and reference letters must be combined into and submitted as one PDF file. The document must be titled by the applicant’s last name and first initial only. Hard copies will not be accepted; please email your application, including the applicant's full name and project title. Please direct all questions to the Research Awards Manager, by telephone at 301-222-4012 or via email. For more information about this award and other research funding opportunities, visit the AGA Research Foundation page.
The AGA gratefully acknowledges support of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (R25DK096968).