AGA-Covidien Research & Development Pilot Award in Technology
At A Glance
|Deadline:||Jan. 30, 2015|
|Payment Date:||July 1, 2015|
This research initiative grant for $30,000 for one year is offered to investigators to support the research and development of novel devices or technologies that will potentially impact the diagnosis or treatment of digestive disease. The award will also include a $1,000 travel stipend to attend AGA Technology Summit
The objective of this award is to provide non-salary funds for new and established investigators to research and develop new devices, design and test a significant improvement to an existing technology, develop a new diagnostic, develop a novel research method technology, and/or investigate the application of nanotechnology or methodologies such as computational biology to the field of gastroenterology.
- Candidates for this award must hold an MD, PhD or equivalent degree (e.g. MB, ChB, MBBS, DO) and a fulltime faculty position at an accredited North American institution.
- Candidates research must be conducted at a North American institution.
- Candidates may not hold awards directly related to the proposed research from other agencies.
- AGA membership is required at the time of application submission. Please visit the membership page or call 301- 654-2055, extension 651, for membership information.
- Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
If candidate is granted the award and notified of a comparable award from another agency prior to the first payment of this award, the recipient must select one of the two awards (i.e. the recipient may not retain both awards). Candidates may not submit the same research project for both the AGA-Elsevier Pilot Research Award and the AGA-Covidien Research & Development Pilot Award in Technology.
- Funds may be used for salary support of research assistants, biostatistics support, laboratory technicians, supplies and/or equipment. Indirect costs are not allowed.
- Applicants must disclose other funding sources.
- A letter of recommendation from the division chief or department chair is required for all applicants at the instructor or assistant professor level.
- Established investigators who are applying for this award should state explicitly how the research being proposed is different from their previous line of research.
- Upon notification of receipt of this award, the recipient must p rovide approval from the appropriate institution committee for use of human subjects or animals. If approval is not necessary, the recipient must provide an explanation.
- A scientific progress report and financial report must be submitted by the award recipient upon completion of the project.
- The award recipient, at the conclusion of his/her award term, will be asked to attend the AGA Technology Summit and present the work of the funded project. A $1,000 travel grant will be provided.
- If there are any potential intellectual property implications, Covidien would have right of first refusal to work out an agreement for further development with the grantee and his/her institution.
- The recipient of this award will be recognized at the Researcher Recognition Celebration during DDW. The recipient and his/her sponsor are strongly encouraged to attend.
The recipient will be selected primarily based upon the potential impact of the study on diagnosing or treating digestive disease.
A selection committee comprised of members of the AGA Research Awards Panel and members designated by the AGA Center for GI Innovation and Technology will review the proposals and select the award recipient. Funding will commence in July.
The application deadline is Jan. 30. The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents, as applicable, must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. The document must be titled by the applicant’s last name and first initial only. Hard copies are not accepted. Please email the application document to email@example.com. Direct all questions to the research awards manager via telephone at 301-222-4012 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.