June & Donald O. Castell, MD Esophageal Clinical Research Award
One award is made to provide research and/or salary support for junior faculty involved in esophageal disease clinical research.
AT A GLANCE
|Start Date:||July 1|
One award of $25,000 will provide research and/or salary support for junior faculty involved in clinical research in esophageal diseases. The award is funded by the June and Donald O. Castell, MD, Gastroenterology Research and Education Trust. The award recipient will be acknowledged at the Research Recognition Celebration at DDW.
To support investigators who have demonstrated high potential to develop independent, productive research careers.
- Applicants must have an MD, a PhD, or equivalent
- Applicant must hold a full-time faculty position at a North American university or professional institute
- Applicant must be an AGA member at the time of application submission. Please visit www.gastro.org/membership or call 301-654-2055, extension 651, for membership information.
- This award is not intended for fellows, but for junior faculty who have demonstrated unusual promise, have some record of accomplishment in research, and have established independent research programs at the time of the application. The award recipient must be at or below the level of assistant professor, and his/her initial appointment to the faculty position must have been within seven years of the time of application.
- An appropriately documented parental leave of absence will not be counted toward the seven-year eligibility requirement. Other exceptional circumstances will be considered.
- Candidates must devote at least 50 percent of their efforts to research related to esophageal function or diseases.
If the award recipient receives notification of extramural funding with overlapping scientific objectives, prior to the start date of this award, the applicant must choose between the two awards.
- Funds may be used to support a new endeavor or an on-going project and are intended to support direct research-related activities. Therefore, indirect costs are not allowed. Support for salary is acceptable if this permits protected research time, but is only appropriate for the recipient or non-faculty laboratory personnel. There is no limit on the recipient’s total research support; however, the applicant must clearly state how this award will foster activities beyond those already funded.
- A letter of recommendation should be provided from the applicant's division chief or chair of the department of medicine and should outline support of the candidate and his/her research program.
- Upon notification of receipt of this award, awardee must provide approval from the appropriate institutional committee for use of human subjects or animals. If approval is not necessary, an explanation must be provided.
- At the conclusion of the award term, the recipient must submit to the foundation a one-page, plain-language progress report, a scientific progress report, a list of publications resulting from the award and a complete financial statement.
- All publications, abstracts and or presentations arising from work funded by this grant must acknowledge support from the AGA-June and Donald O. Castell, MD, Gastroenterology Research and Education Trust and the AGA Research Foundation.
Award recipient selection will be based upon novelty, feasibility and significance of the proposal, the research environment, and the attributes of the candidate.
A selection committee consisting of established gastroenterological investigators will select the award recipient.
The application deadline date for the 2014 award will be determined. The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents, as applicable, must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. The document must be titled by the applicant’s last name and first initial only. Hard copies will not be accepted. Please e-mail the application document to email@example.com. The applicant's full name and project title are to be included in the submission e-mail. Please direct all questions to the Research Awards Manager, by telephone at 301-222-4012 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support of this program by the June and Donald O. Castell, MD, Gastroenterology Research and Education Trust and the American Gastroenterological Association is gratefully acknowledged.