Awards & Nominations
GI Clinician to Lead AGA
The Governing Board of the AGA Institute is pleased to announce the addition of new leaders to the board. The new board members’ expertise in private practice and clinical research will help AGA improve services to physicians in practice and their patients.
A gastroenterologist with more than 30 years of experience in practice, John I. Allen, MD, MBA, AGAF, medical director for quality, Minnesota Gastroenterology, will serve as vice president and president-elect before taking over the presidency in May 2014.
Dr. Allen has long championed the needs of practicing gastroenterologists. A physician with an MBA, he is a noted expert on the business of health care. His efforts to improve quality care in his practice, his state and on a national level are also well known. He has been an integral part of AGA’s quality improvement and patient care initiatives, including creation of the AGA Digestive Health Outcomes Registry®. Following the passage of the new health reform law, Dr. Allen often goes to Capitol Hill to advocate for the needs of practicing gastroenterologists.
Other new leaders include:
- Private Practice Councillor: Ron Fogel, MD, Digestive Health Centers of Michigan/Clinical Research Institute of Michigan, LLC.
- Clinical Research Councillor: David A. Lieberman, MD, chief, Division of Gastroenterology at the Oregon Health Sciences University.
Member Recognition Prizes
Each year, the AGA honors a number of individuals for their outstanding contributions to the field of gastroenterology. Click on the name of the award for a full description of the award, details on eligibility and the nomination process.
2012 AGA Research Foundation Grant Recipients
Kara Gross Margolis, MD
Robert E. Schwartz, MD, PhD
Shehzad Z. Sheikh, MD, PhD
Laren S. Becker, MD, PhD
Randy S. Longman, MD, PhD
2012 Recognition Prize Recipients
- Emmet B. Keeffe, MD, AGAF (Posthumous)
- Richard S. Blumberg, MD, AGAF
- Hans Clevers, MD
- John Del Valle, MD, AGAF
- Michael Camilleri, MD, AGAF
- John I. Allen, MD, MBA, AGAF
- Timothy T. Nostrant, MD, AGAF