Awards & Nominations
AGA Announces New Leader
The Governing Board of the AGA Institute is pleased to announce the addition of new leaders to the board. The new board members’ expertise in private practice and clinical research will help AGA improve services to physicians in practice and their patients.
Michael Camilleri, MD, AGAF, professor of medicine at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, and professor of physiology and pharmacology at Mayo Medical and Graduate School, will serve as vice president and president-elect before taking over the presidency in May 2015.
Dr. Camilleri has been actively involved in the AGA, including serving on the AGA Council, the AGA Leadership Cabinet as the councillor-at-large, and as a member and chair of the AGA Committee on Publications and Informatics, the AGA Nominating Committee, the AGA Audit Committee, and the AGA Future Trends Committee. He was the founding editor of Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, editor of AGA Perspectives, and an associate editor of Gastroenterology.
Other new leaders include:
- Education & Training Councillor: Suzanne Rose, MD, MSEd, AGAF
- Councillor-At-Large: Byron L. Cryer, MD
- AGA Research Foundation Chair: Martin Brotman, MD, AGAF
- Secretary/Treasurer Elect: Francis M. Giardiello, MD, AGAF
Member Recognition Prizes
Each year, the AGA honors a number of individuals for their outstanding contributions to the field of gastroenterology. Click on the name of the award for a full description of the award, details on eligibility and the nomination process.
2013 Recognition Prize Recipients
- Chung Owyang, MD
- Pelayo Correa, MD
- Sheila E. Crowe, MD, AGAF, FRCPC, FACP, FACG
- Douglas K. Rex, MD, AGAF, FACG, FASGE
- John Thomas Lamont, MD, AGAF
- Stephen P. James, MD
- Lawrence R. Schiller, MD, FACP, FACG
- Grace H. Elta, MD, AGAF
- Joel V. Brill, MD, AGAF
- Congressman Bill Cassidy, MD, R-LA
2012 AGA Research Foundation Grant Recipients
- Kara Gross Margolis, MD
- Robert E. Schwartz, MD, PhD
- Shehzad Z. Sheikh, MD, PhD
- Laren S. Becker, MD, PhD
- Randy S. Longman, MD, PhD